If you’re someone who enjoys hunting, it’s imperative that you use the proper protection at all times. All the best hunters- even amateurs- will never go hunting if they do not have the right equipment with them. This includes hearing protection of some sort.
Luckily, you have plenty of different options for hearing protection to choose from, one of which includes hearing protection earmuffs. Gunshots are loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage, even if you’re just exposed to one shot without the right protective gear.
So that’s why it’s critical that you invest in good gear so you can still enjoy the sport without some of its more drastic repercussions.
The Peltor Tactical 300 is discontinued, but you can still get it at a variety of popular online retailers, including Amazon. These earmuffs are among the highest rated and most trusted among hunters.
In this Peltor Tactical 300 review, we will discuss some of the features, pros, and cons of the earmuffs, as well as what you should look for in protective gear.
When you’re shopping for hearing protection, there are going to be a few things that you’ll want to consider aside from what people have to say about it and the brand. Here are some of the most important criteria to be aware of.
- Noise reduction rating: We have discussed the importance of the noise reduction rating many times, but the fact remains that this is the most important feature to pay attention to when shopping for hearing protection. You need to make sure that the hearing protection gear you choose will provide you with enough protection to curb some of the more drastic side effects. The higher the rating, the more protection you will receive is the general rule. Most protection provides a NRR between 20 and 33. Depending on what you need it for, try to aim for a higher number.
- Comfort: It’s probably not too much of an overstatement to say that you’re going to be using the hearing protection for a long period of time. If you need it for work, for example, you’re going to be wearing protective gear all day at least. So, it’s important to make sure that what you’re wearing is comfortable. Most companies have taken this into account by installing extra padding or making earplugs mold to the exact shape of your ears.
- Purpose: Another thing to consider is the purpose- both the reason why you need the protective muffs and the reason the ones you’re thinking about were manufactured. For example, if you’re a hunter, you will want to look for hearing protection that is geared towards hunting and shooting. If you need the earmuffs for work, you will want to see if the line of work you’re in will be covered. Most of these devices have the capability of covering many different fields, but it’s never a bad idea to double-check.
- Type: Finally, you will want to consider the type of hearing protection that you want. For example, the options tend to narrow down between over-the-head muffs vs earplugs. A lot of people prefer earplugs due to their discreet appearance and general comfort, but earmuffs tend to have a higher noise reduction rating, which is important in ensuring that you’ll get the most protection possible.
Overview of Product
Peltor Sport Tactical 300 Electronic Hearing Protector, Ear Muffs
The Peltor Sport Tactical 300 remains one of the most popular hearing protection devices of its type. There are many people who compare the Peltor Tactical 300 vs. 500. These hearing protection headphones are perfect for people who enjoy shooting and hunting for sport, whether that be indoors or outdoors.
The Peltor Tactical 300 manual shows that these headphones offer clear voice tracking, which means that they have the ability to distinguish between louder and softer noises. When you’re wearing these while having a conversation, you won’t have to worry about not being able to hear the other person since the headphones are sensitive to noise.
They also have a dynamic suppression time, which means that the headphones will measure the amount of energy contained in a gunshot noise and will then set themselves up for reduced echoes.
The headphones also have recessed microphones that reduce wind noise and work to prevent damage. In addition, they have a vented headband that is meant to increase your comfort while wearing them and that is adjustable. You will also be able to wear these comfortably with hats.
According to the Peltor Sport Tactical 300 manual, these headphones operate using 2 AAA batteries, but you will have to purchase those separately.
You will be able to purchase the hearing protection earmuffs on Amazon for $92, and you can add an additional 4-year protection plan for $15.
Here is a YouTube video of the Peltor Sport Tactical 300 in use.
Pros and Cons
Here are some of the pros and cons according to what people wrote in their reviews.
- A lot of people said that these are the best hearing protection devices.
- They are sensitive to voices, so you won’t have trouble listening to conversations.
- The headphones also reduce wind noise.
- They’re the perfect option for hunters and shooters.
- People were pleased with the response time (the amount of time it took for the headphones to catch on to energy levels and reduce the noise of the gunshot).
- Other headphones have a higher noise reduction rating.
- These aren’t the most comfortable option.
Again, the Peltor Sport Tactical 300 hearing protection headphones is one of the highest-rated products on the market for hunting and shooting. It’s always important to make sure that you have some sort of hearing protection when using a gun because one shot is all it takes to cause permanent hearing damage. When reading Peltor Sport Tactical 300 reviews, it’s clear that many people think these are the best hearing protection for hunters on the market. So, we think that it’s definitely worth purchasing or considering the Peltor Sport Tactical 300.